Our curriculum approach is the Dr. Maria’s Montessori method. The Montessori method of education is based on Dr. Maria Montessori’s scientific observations about how children learn as they progress from birth to adulthood. The Montessori curriculum covers five areas, practical life, sensorial, language, math, culture, and geography. Our teachers are dedicated to creating an optimal AMS style traditional Montessori environment where children have the opportunity to learn how to live. As educators, we accept a professional commitment to serving the needs of the whole child, mentally, physically, and emotionally.
Characteristic of the Preschool Child:
- The sensitive period for order.
- Has a great need for order and organization- needs a model of order.
- The sensitive period for language.
- Acquires language with ease. Has a special ability to learn a second language if it is spoken to them on a consistent and realistic basis.
- Wants to know what everything is, and needs the correct names.
- Sensitive period to learning about his/her work.
- Is becoming adapted to the culture and environment in which he/she lives- wants to deal with reality.
- Grows at a rapid rate.
- Sensitive period to building coordinated movement the child needs lots of time to practice purposeful movement.
- Needs to explore the environment, using all senses.
- Sensitive period to explore and discover- absorbs everything.
- Needs the opportunity to manipulate objects. Loves to repeat.
- Works and plays side by side with others, but needs his/her own time and space to do things.
- Is ego-centered.
- The sensitive period for self-esteem.
- Develops independence and self-reliance.
How our curriculum meets the above needs
- A prepared environment that allows and encourages freedom of movement, and facilitates independent learning and exploration.
- An abundance of Montessori educational materials in all subject areas.
- Individual lessons.
- Multi- aged group environment – where children learn from each other.
- Grace and courtesy, responsibility, and respect are integral parts of each day.
- Practical Life lessons- care of self, care of the environment, development of social relations, and movement.
- Sensorial Exploration lessons allowing each child to clarify, classify and comprehend their world.
- Mathematics and Language lessons develop the capacity to reason, calculate, estimate, classify, enrich the vocabulary, and see the relationships between letters and words.
- Art, music, and drama integrated into the curriculum and viewed as forms of self- expression, explored sensorial, and culturally.
- Science, history, geography designated to help the younger children learn facts about the culture and its people.
- Enriched natural outdoor environment; including gardening, free play, and observation of nature.
- Culture and traditions around the world are introduced through physical then cultural geography.
“Do not tell them how to do it. Show them how to do it and do not say a word. If you tell them, they will watch your lips move. If you show them, they will want to do it themselves.”
-Dr. Maria Montessori
Happy Day Montessori School
1501 Washington Ave, Albany, CA 94706